Monday, January 12, 2015

Day One- Powerfully Letting Go of Cravings


I hope you are feeling better than I am. My belated family Christmas was yesterday and seemed to be perfect timing to say goodbye to things like wine (I said goodbye to about 4 glasses), meat (in a parade of pretty much any way I could want it- I had to say goodbye to all the ways,) and of course every freakin' thing was cheesy (I told my aunt I ate so much cheese my eyeballs hurt.) And don't forget dessert! The way I feel today is reminding me exactly why I'm doing this cleanse. I want to truly find the BALANCE so I don't have to feel like this again.

As much as we might want to retreat, it is possible to fit this new way of eating into everyday life. Just today, I was reading a passage about yoga that also made me think about food. In Light on Life, B.K.S. Iyengar writes,
“Many associate yoga with a rejection of the world, its responsibilities, and commitments, and with extreme austerity leading even to self-mortification. But is not the greater challenge and greater fulfillment to be found living in the world with its tribulations and temptations, and at the same time to maintain both balance and self-control in the everyday life of a householder?”
 As good as it felt to just “be normal” and eat like everyone else, it also felt like physically hurting myself to appease others. The indulgence was delicious and felt good...for a very short time. Of course it's easier. And the more I read about food marketing, I find that it's confusing and exhausting on purpose. I'm tired of being called “picky.” I caved to the gluttony of yesterday and the stomachaches, the headaches, the lethargy of today. 

My goal in this cleanse is to flex my discipline muscles, learn what my body really needs, and eventually find the balance Iyengar speaks of in everyday life, even after the cleanse is over, even during family parties.

By now, your cravings might be talking to you a little bit. Maybe even more than a little. This is not a time to make big decisions or to have life-determining meetings. You might feel a little bit cranky as your addictions try to scream for your attention. Your body wants its fix(es)!

Right now we are eliminating our usual craving triggers as we break out of our habits of eating and ways of thinking (or not thinking) about food. We are more powerful than food, surely! If you feel a caffeine headache, just think about how strong you are to give up a substance that has such a powerful hold over you. After a few days, you will conquer it. Give yourself a little hug for being awesome.
To be honest, I thought something was wrong with me when I first gave up caffeine. Kathy Freston wrote that it would probably be a few days of headaches, but I had a full two weeks of excruciating headaches and feeling like I could fall asleep at any time. I was wading through molasses just to get through the day. Forget intelligent conversation. Forget exercise. I was wondering why I was doing it. But then… I started sleeping beautifully, deeply. The heightened sense of anxiety and irritability left me. I could have a kind conversation with my husband in the morning before drinking my coffee. I could even think creatively without coffee. What? It’s true.

The cravings and withdrawal will go away, I promise. Just wait until week 3! You’ll be feeling SO GOOD.

How would you like a delicious recipe that you can leave in the slow cooker and come home to a delicious, gluten-free, vegan meal? No animals were harmed in the making of this meal. Alcohol free, too! Mmmm.

"No Hurry Vegetable Curry"

1 Tablespoon peanut oil
2 large carrots, sliced on a diagonal
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced  (I will be using about 10 small red potatoes)
8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed
One can Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) - 15 oz, drained and rinsed (or dry soaked overnight)
One can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz.
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed (or fresh snow peas)
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
salt

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 min. Add garlic, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne, stirring to coat.

2. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a slow cooker. Add the potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
(If not using a slow cooker - perhaps boil or bake the potatoes prior and add in the last 5 minutes of sauteeing. I would recommend cooking everything in a pan for about 1/2 hour so that the tomatoes can get less sour. Since there is not the benefit of the tomatoes mellowing for hours, you may want to add a bit of agave nectar or approved sweetener that is NOT sugar or artificial flavoring.)

3. Just before serving, stir in the peas and coconut milk and season with salt. Taste to adjust the seasonings.

Borrowed from: Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment