Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Drone Missing

From NYC's Library Walk:  "The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings."  - Kate Chopin, The Awakening  (An excellent book if you haven't read it.)

Today, I celebrate my independence from the corporate world.

If I’m being completely honest, it was pretty scary to leave a steady corporate job.  This huge step of going off on my own (which encouraged certain loved ones to ask if I need professional help, by the way) is no doubt (in my crazy mind) the right direction.

Is it scary because of the loss of income?  Yes.  But the scariest part is going against the norm in society.  It’s setting myself apart and saying, “I am free to choose how I make a living and I can do it on my own.”

I've learned that it’s okay to wonder – it’s okay to question if there might, in fact, be another scenario that could work for life besides sticking with what seems "comfortable" and echoes what others around me are doing.  If I am not living my true life – holding on to the dreams that make me who I am- then what is the point?

A dear friend of mine is a schoolteacher and though she’s working full time, she feels truly fulfilled and still finds time to savor the moments of her life.  I think that's wonderful and balanced.


I was not balanced in the business world.  I flooded coffee down my throat to motivate myself falsely to keep going.  I forced myself to play the part, though it wasn't me at all.  I had constant migraines.  I thought maybe something was wrong with me.

Now I know the truth- there is not only one way to survive in society.  We do not all have to buy into the system and go through the routine every day, contributing to the giant purring engine of big business.  I can choose my own path.  I am believing in myself and listening to my inner voice, for a change. Without coffee and without migraines!


No comments:

Post a Comment