Friday, July 6, 2012

Spaghetti with Roasted Tomatoes and Herbs


I made one of my very favorite summer pastas last night and it was extra delicious with the fresh, organic cherry tomatoes from Geauga Family Farms.  It was the first time I ever used yellow tomatoes in this recipe and it gave the sauce a completely new taste.  Amazing!   This recipe was shared with me a couple of years ago by a dear friend.   Arlyn, I still think of you every time I enjoy this recipe!

*Note: I’ve recently been using refrigerated, fresh pasta.  If you can get the fresh pasta rather than the dry, it really makes a difference.  I used garlic & chive spaghetti from Ohio City.

This is simple to make and tastes gourmet.



Spaghetti with Roasted Tomatoes and Herbs (Serves 2- with leftovers unless you're really hungry)

12 oz spaghetti (3/4 box)
2 pints cherry tomatoes (2 little crates – best if red & yellow mixed!)
6 cloves garlic, smashed
3 TB olive oil, plus more for serving
½ cup mixed herbs (basil, parsley, chives) I used basil and a little bit of Italian Parsley, too.

  1. Heat oven to 400 F.  Bring water for the pasta to a boil.

  1. Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes, garlic, 2 TB oil, and 1 tsp salt.  Roast, tossing once, until the tomatoes begin to burst (20-25 minutes).

  1. Prepare the pasta according to package directions.

  1. Toss the pasta with the tomatoes, herbs, and the remaining oil.  Serve more olive oil and taste to check if you should add more salt and/or herbs.
*Improvisation: Sarah J, this recipe makes me think of you.  Saute some shrimp with a couple of the tomatoes, some garlic, and basil and this will be almost as good as your signature shrimp dish.

If you like, you can watch how easy it is to make this meal: Laura Makes Spaghetti with Roasted Tomatoes and Herbs.  Please don't laugh - it's my first attempt at video editing and my first time preparing food while talking about it to a crowd!  It's only 5 minutes as I'm using it to audition to be a cooking instructor, so some steps are skipped, but all are listed above.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum :) toss some chopped fresh spinach in too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Amy! I've tried adding zucchini, but it competes with the tomatoes. I think spinach might be just right, especially if you add another garlic clove and a little extra salt. Now I want to try it!

      Delete