Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gain Power over Your Food (as opposed to the other way around)



So, now that the Wellness Cleanse is starting on Monday, you may be thinking, “Geez, that Laura is crazy, can I get out of this?”  Or you are thinking, “why am I reading this, I’m not going to do that stupid cleanse she’s going on about.”

Well, if you are doing it, we will have some fun and maybe even shake off some emotional baggage with the stronger, healthier, perhaps hotter bods of ours.  If not, may I invite you to follow along anyways, and learn some more about nutrition?  Maybe you just want to see if I can still post recipes that are good for you and taste good, too. “Ha,” You are thinking, “Vegan & Gluten Free!  No way will it be good.”  Well, then.  Let me just tell you that I am an excellent cook, I adore spending time in the kitchen, and I see vegetarian cooking as a challenge to make food even better than if it had the ordinary old meat and dairy in it.  So look out!  It’s good stuff!

Maybe you want to try to give up one or a couple of the things, but not commit to all five, and see how you feel?  That’s great, please come along and flirt a little – I promise I won’t tie you down, steal your coffee, hide your bread, and tell you what’s in a McDonald’s cheeseburger.  Just see what you like, no pressure.

If you are thinking, “I couldn’t possibly give up (cheese, steak, ice cream, etc)” Freston encourages us to think about how much that craving owns you.  Do you want your food to have power over you or would you like to have power over your food?  All my life, I was known as the “cheese monster.”  My husband told me that he wouldn’t marry me unless I ate vegetables because he was afraid I wouldn’t feed our (future) kids veggies.  Once, he saw me go into such a frenzy over cheese -on -a -stick at an amusement park that he called me that for months.  I freakin’ love cheese, ice cream, cheeseburgers, etc.  But I also love being healthy and I want to live a long, long time.  So I quit that shit. 

In addition to the cleanse information, I’ll be sharing nutritional tidbits from Dr. Todd Pesek (Eat Yourself Super), Michael Pollan (Food Rules & In Defense of Food), Dr. Barnard (21 Day Vegan Kickstart), Alicia Silverstone (The Kind Diet), those fabulous Skinny Bitches, and more.  I have a dorky addiction to reading about food…let's use it to serve you as I share the knowledge I've accumulated over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment