Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 9 – A Surprising Obstacle

Hopefully, your initial cravings have passed, along with any withdrawal symptoms.  Now is a good time to pause and give yourself a big hug (it’s possible and it feels really nice!  Try it for real!)  You should be so proud – I am.  It’s been over a week that we have eliminated alcohol, animal products, caffeine, gluten, and sugar- staples that “can’t be lived without” for many.  This is hard core.  And we are rockin’!

My husband, Vida, and I went on a short retreat to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake – WINE COUNTRY!  Luckily, Vida decided to give up drinking with me in support of the cleanse.  That helped.  I think we were the only sober adults in the whole place!  At the pool, we saw people carrying beer and frozen drinks from the refreshment stand.  Instead we sipped on water, then went for a six- mile bike ride.  At dinner, we watched people, sipping elegantly on their wine at the beginning of the evening (while I felt a bit envious), then stumbling and slurring by the end (when I felt a little better.)   The next day, we remarked to each other how that was the first time we had been there and not drinking.  At the risk of sounding like an after school special, I’m going to venture to say it was better.  I was able to be present and enjoy every single moment: the sun on my skin at the pool, every color in the gorgeous sunset, the lake view and breeze as we biked, every bite of the delicious food.  

Alcohol was not the only temptation.  There was an omelet station for breakfast (my favorite!) and the cheese in Vida’s omelet started looking lasciviously at me and purring my name.  I told the omelet, “Back off!  I feel amazing and nothing is worth giving that up.”

Luckily, there were even a couple of vegan options on the menu – a marinated tofu stir-fry and a black bean burger (which I ordered without the bun, but indulged in the guacamole!)


As we were watching the sunset and I was sipping on my sparkling water with lemon, Vida ordered an ice cream sundae.  I was feeling very smug that I would be just fine, when the waitress, who had astutely noticed me ordering vegan items, mentioned that there was fresh raspberry sorbet.  No dairy.  But sugar!  I thought, “no,” but somehow my lips said yes and it appeared before me moments later.  Well… it was delicious.  I ate only half of the one little scoop and savored every bite.  What was really interesting was the sugar buzz that happened to me after!  I was slap-happy and giggling non-stop for about an hour, then suddenly, as the fun was just starting, the sugar crashed and I was sleeping.  I even had a bit of a headache the next morning.  I never realized that sugar had such an effect, so it was an amusing experiment.

I had a fortified wall up against the things that I know tempt me the most (coffee, cheese, eggs, wine, bread, pasta) but I fell in a moment to sugar, when I’ve always been one who can pass on desserts without too much trouble.  Surprise!

I’m going to take my own advice and not beat myself up about it, but instead be proud of all the other temptations that I was able to vanquish.  And now today is a new day.  I’ve also decided that I’m in it for the long haul and this is how I would like to eat for the rest of my life.  I already feel better than ever and it’s exciting.

I struggled with sharing this slip up, in fear that you will now throw in the towel, declare me a fraud, and stick your face in a chocolate cake with a side of beef.  I can hear your now happier body shouting, “Please don’t!”  Hopefully you will be even stronger than me.  But if not, get back to it on the next meal and take note of how your body reacted.  I’ve been giving this advice and meaning it, but never thought I would have to listen to it!

Meditation:
“Throughout the day, I will say to myself with eyes closed, I examine myself.  I will always be challenged by various situations-relationship conflicts, stress at work, drama with my kids- and thus experience feelings that are uncomfortable.  All of this provides the friction necessary for my personal growth.  If everything went along swimmingly all the time, I would never have the opportunity to stretch myself, or work at pushing through the obstacles that keep me stagnant.  In order to keep moving forward, I can step back from the feelings and examine them, noting how familiar or repetitive they are… As I now see it, the purpose of my life is to grow and awaken to the powerful potential that is within.  My most sacred mission is to focus on moving through the places that hold me back.”


I added green onions.  Mine was a little too brothy, so I reduced the liquid in the recipe below.

Comfort Food - Sweet Potato, Lentil, and Chickpea Curry

Since this is cooked in the slow cooker, the ingredients get gooey, but retain the nutrients.  Delicious!
If you don’t have a slow cooker, make it like a stew and simmer for at least an hour or two.


1 cup dried, split chickpeas
1 cup red or brown lentils
3 cups water (or more depending on what package says for chickpeas and lentils)
2 teaspoons pure chile powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
¼ cup cilantro (optional)
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced small (optional)

1. Put chickpeas, lentils, water, turmeric, chile powder, sweet potato, and diced tomatoes in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until chickpeas and lentils are tender.

2. Remove the cover and gently stir in coconut milk.  Add salt to taste and also sample to see if you should add more turmeric & chili powder.  Cook for another ½ hour to an hour.

3. Serve and top each serving with one tablespoon of cilantro and a bit of chopped jalapeno.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you had an amazing time! So happy for you! I wasn't at home today, went ''around the world'' with my nuts, hahahah, so i might try out this recipe for tomorrow, unless you think of sth even better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! And I love that meditation - I'm going to use it in class :) Where did it come from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meditation is from Kathy Freston's Quantum Wellness Cleanse book. It's really lovely and I highly recommend it. She is kind and gentle, but honest.

    ReplyDelete