Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day One - Break Free from the Cravings!


Your cravings might be talking to you a little bit.  Maybe even more than a little.  This is not a time to make big decisions or to have life-determining meetings.  You might feel a little bit cranky as your addictions try to scream for your attention.  Your body wants its fix(es)!

Right now you are eliminating your usual craving triggers as you break out of your habits of eating and ways of thinking (or not thinking as you stuff your face… guilty here) about food.  We are more powerful than food, surely!  If you feel a caffeine headache, just think about how strong you are to give up a substance that has such a powerful hold over you.  After a few days, you will conquer it.  Give yourself a little hug for being awesome.

To be honest, I thought something was wrong with me when I first gave up caffeine.  Kathy said it would probably be a few days of headaches, but I had a full two weeks of excruciating headaches and feeling like I could fall asleep at any time.  I was wading through molasses just to get through the day.  Forget intelligent conversation.  Forget exercise.  I was wondering why I was doing it.  But then… I started sleeping beautifully, deeply.  The heightened sense of anxiety and irritability left me.  I could have a kind conversation with my husband before drinking my coffee.   I could even think creatively without coffee.  What?  It’s true.  Honestly, I danced back and forth with my temptress, coffee, for about nine months and now haven’t touched it for …drumroll please… two months.  See, I told you it’s a process.

The cravings and withdrawal will go away, I promise.  Just wait until week 3!  You’ll be feeling SO GOOD.
Now for the fun part- a delicious recipe that you can leave in the slow cooker and come home to a delicious, gluten-free, vegan meal!  No animals were harmed in the making of this meal.  Alcohol free, too!  Mmmm.

"No Hurry Vegetable Curry"

1 Tablespoon peanut oil
2 large carrots, sliced on a diagonal
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced  (I will be using about 10 small red potatoes)
8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed
One can Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) - 15 oz, drained and rinsed (or dry soaked overnight)
One can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz.
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed (or fresh snow peas)
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
salt

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the carrots and onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 min.  Add garlic, curry powder, coriander, and cayenne, stirring to coat.

2. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a slow cooker.  Add the potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
(If not using a slow cooker - perhaps boil or bake the potatoes prior and add in the last 5 minutes of sauteeing.  I would recommend cooking everything in a pan for about 1/2 hour so that the tomatoes can get less sour.  Since there is not the benefit of the tomatoes mellowing for hours, you may want to add a bit of agave nectar or approved sweetener that is NOT sugar or artificial flavoring.)

3.  Just before serving, stir in the peas and coconut milk and season with salt.  Taste to adjust the seasonings.

Borrowed from: Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

2 comments:

  1. I had this, "I want to go through a bonding experience with Laura even though we are 5 hours apart" impulse when I read your post. So I'm going to try and stick with the diet. Already day was shot because I had coffee. Then I decided to "go all out" and got beer, ribs, and ice cream with friends. Then, like karma, I woke up the next morning feeling awful from all the bad food and alcohol. This is going to get interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope you're not picturing me standing over you and glaring at your food as a reunion! I won't do that! Remember, you get to start fresh every day. It's crazy when we actually start paying attention to the way certain foods make us feel. I'm glad you're joining me!

      Delete