Thursday, June 7, 2012

Simplicity and Love

But what I realized in Croatia is that you can be so much happier with so much less.  The people I met there were the kindest and happiest.  They all had a garden and an orchard, maybe some chickens.  When we visited, the whole family would get up as we left and walk us to our car.  They did everything for each other.  Without hesitation, our Aunt let us borrow her car for a week to drive hundreds of miles around the country.  They had little, but gave everything.  In Croatia, I learned about community.  I learned how to give.

I got home and thought, “Why do I need all this STUFF?”  The more we buy, the more we “need,” the more we have, the more we want.  What if we could stop the cycle and just be happy?  What if we could just give of ourselves instead of spending, spending, giving our hard earned dollars to corporations who don’t care about us, who don’t even care if their products are hurting us (cosmetics, food, everything!)

1 comment:

  1. completely agree! Yes, we need money, we need to pay our bills, buy food, but that constant rush for money 24/7 is driving me crazy. the more money you have, the more money you want. The more stuff you have, even more you want! And, guess what, you are not happy. My job is not well paid, but so fullfilling, with so much free time I can give to myself and my friends, that no money in the world could compensate that. we are spiritual, not materialistic beings, and if our soul is seeking for love, family, friends, freedom, and all the things that matter in life, we can't be happy, truly happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete