Monday, June 11, 2012

The Empty Bowl- a Lesson on Being Present

I took my cereal outside today.  I wanted to be present in nature and to have a new experience fully enjoying my breakfast. 

I sat outside, feeling the breeze on my bare arms and gazing at my garden.  Then I noticed that the tomato plants needed to be tied and saw that some weeding would be a good idea soon… next thing I knew, I was already thinking about what I would say in this blog and wondering how my mom was today.  Look down, cereal gone.  Missed it.

It is so difficult to be fully present.  I think you have to let it hit you and wash over you from time to time – like noticing a cool breeze or a beautiful flower.  I’ve noticed that my mind runs out of control, so I am going to keep working towards being present as best I can.  I think I’ll stop planning to be present, though, as I try to “just be”!


1 comment:

  1. Just soaking up life and nature in every pore of your being. Being alive is just a great experience that lasts for a short amount of time, and I just can't understand how some people live, as if they don't live at all!

    ReplyDelete