Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 18- Embrace your inner “freak” to incite positive change in the world.


“As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.”
-Nelson Mandela

One thing that I love about a vegan lifestyle is that it's non-conforming.  It’s a personal revolution and utter rebellion to say, “I will not buy into an industry that is cruel, does not care about my health, and is followed as a matter of convenience for most.”  When you order your meal without meat and without cheese, you’ve probably already noticed some of the reactions.  It’s confusion, raised eyebrows, sometimes even hostility – especially if you don’t live on the West Coast, USA.

Freston agrees, “Our challenge as humans is always to love the part of ourselves that is rejected and disowned.  When we come to terms with the part of us that is vulnerable, we arrive at a deeper inner peace, and thus are able to act in the world a bit more peacefully.”

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting in a restaurant and overheard a young woman saying, “I felt so emotional.  I know, I told him.  I’m so crazy!”  This struck a chord with me as I remembered saying the same thing more times than I would like to admit.  My heart moved for this girl.  Why should we be labeled as "crazy" for letting ourselves emotionally react?  For being ourselves? 

Why do we tuck these emotions, these eccentricities away?  We are all unique, with differing needs, interests, bodies.  Yet, society has groomed us to want to be competitive versions of the same prototype.  It makes us more apt to buy things, to stay in line by striving for sameness, constantly asking ourselves, “Is this okay?  What will they think?”

“The system does not want us to know our own best selves, because if we do we then have no need to buy things that ‘they’ say are worthy and desirable.  Satisfied people don’t buy as much stuff.” – The Minimalist Women’s Guide to Having it All

Let’s stop judging ourselves based on society’s imposed standards.  How about judging based on our own heart’s standards?  Or best yet, don’t judge yourself at all!

I am curvy.  My hair is purple.  I don't have cable.  I don’t eat animals.  I love yoga and find that “church” is on my mat.  Totally weird?  Not fitting into society?  So?  I’ve been exceedingly happier since realizing: It’s my choice how I live; what I wear, how to nourish my body, what’s important to me!   

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Today’s yummy recipe is a little bit different, too.  I made it up the other day when I had an abundance of peaches and corn.


Laura’s Fabulous Peach Salsa
3 green onions, chopped small (or 1/2 sweet onion, diced)
½ green pepper, diced small
2 jalapenos, diced small
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
7 peaches, peeled, pitted, and diced
4 cobs of corn, grilled and sliced off cob
Squirt of lime juice
salt to taste (just to bring out the flavors)

Mix and enjoy!

Hint:  You will need more cilantro, green onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and lime for tomorrow’s recipe.

Kathy Freston’s Wellness Cleanse Meditation for Today:
I open my eyes so that I may heal.
I am ready to confront the darkness within (the parts that care only about immediate or personal satisfaction) and the darkness in our world.  By nudging myself to open my eyes, I will begin to see what needs to shift on a fundamental level.  By healing myself and becoming more aware and thoughtful about my choices, I am also offering that light and healing outward into the world.”


1 comment:

  1. While you're on the subject of "they" or "them", let's revisit that, because it is often asked, "who are THEY anyway?" The proverbial collective of society is what it is supposed to mean, right? So it's everyone and no one at the same time. Well I say, THEY are all stupid assholes, so forget about what THEY think or say!!

    Peach corn salsa is ridiculously good, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete