Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 14- How are YOU?


Since it is Sunday and a day of rest, I will give your brain a break, as well as my fingers.  Please take today to feel the glow of pride for the amazing things you are doing for your body.

I've been blogging and sharing how I am feeling, but I would like to know how you are feeling! 

Do you have any questions?

Have you adopted any part of the cleanse and want to share your experience?

Have you discovered some new recipes or go-to foods?

Is there anything that you would like me to add on the blog as we approach the last week of our cleanse?

This cleanse is an exciting journey so far.  I've learned even more about myself  and nutrition by sharing the information with you.  Thank you for reading!


Below is a recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine.  It's a raw breakfast recipe created by an Ayurvedic lifestyle counselor.  That means that it balances all six tastes, which in Ayurveda is how you know you are getting everything your body needs.
Note:  It was much tastier when I cooked it on the stove.  If you like it raw or know you have a busy morning the next day and prefer to make it overnight, the cold recipe is decent.  But when you warm it, it's really incredible.  I could eat it every day!
Overnight Chai Steel-Cut Oats

1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup almond milk (or soy, hemp, any non-dairy milk)
2 TB chia seeds
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground ginger or 1 TB crystallized ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch black pepper
1 TB maple syrup
1 TB shredded coconut, optional (but delicious!)
1 TB chopped pistachios, optional (delicious!)

1. Combine oats, almond milk, chia seeds, cardamom, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and maple syrup in a glass jar with lid.  Stir, close lid, and refrigerate overnight.

2. Open lid, stir, and sprinkle with coconut and pistachios, if using.

I made this a couple of days ago and it's very portable.  I took my jar with me today.  It stretched to 3 breakfasts for me.

I usually like my oatmeal warm.  I think I'm going to try it on the stove tomorrow.  Take your pick!  It would be good to make overnight if you know you'll have a busy morning and need something to grab and go.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all these recipes, information and thoughts! I feel great, and I really hope that I could get rid of my sugar addiction. Maybe you could write about chocolate and why it makes us so addictive. Or about sugar addiction in general? You could also write about other nation's foods. for example what's the secret of French, Japanese, Swedish people? Maybe about e-numbers, additives, emulgators, how do they affect us... And I'm curious, how will you eat after this diet? So restrictive, or are you going back to fish, bread, and things you ate up to now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, Zeljka! Sugar is coming up very soon and it's fascinating. Hopefully, it will help with the sugar addiction. I like the other ideas and will investigate.

    I am absolutely going to stick to this diet after the cleanse! When you read tomorrow's post, you'll understand part of the reason. Of course, I will still raise the occasional glass of champagne or red wine and will allow a little dark chocolate, but I've never felt so good. And the more I share with you, the more I realize the importance of avoiding the "big 5."

    When I did this cleanse on my own, I skimmed the information a little. Soaking it in enough to share with others is changing my life for the better and it's a joy. Thanks again for joining me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Zeljika asked about the diets of other nations, it reminded me of an amazing book I read called "Blue Zones". It's about areas in the world where there are concentrated pockets of populations that live to be over 100 years old. The scientists examine diet and lifestyles in those areas and make suggestions about changes we all can adopt. In all the areas, the older folks with lots of vitality are active, don't eat processed foods, and really focus on relationships with other people and feeling connected to their community.

    ReplyDelete