Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Down the Slippery Pita Slope

It was just a tiny piece of pita bread.

I was so proud of myself, practicing such moderation. I took the tiny quarter of a pita triangle and even ripped it in half, separating the double layers so that I could have two tiny feast-like triangles for my hummus.

Smug, I bragged about my new "balance," this amazing self control.

But then, the cravings came. One stupid quarter of a pita started the craziness, the raving mad NEED for more. I started fantasizing about pizza dripping with cheese, giant steaks. I almost had an egg until I pictured myself crying into my breakfast.

By the third day, Sunday, I actually started chewing on my husband, telling him how much I "needed" to sink my teeth into some meat. Wide-eyed, he ushered me into the car to go out to eat, understanding how dangerous a situation we were in.

After giving myself permission to order a steak, I opted instead for (surprise) an Italian meal. I dove face-first into the fluffy bread, ordered the fried everything platter as an appetizer, then shoveled delightful cavatelli into my ever chewing, ever smiling mouth.



That damn pita triangle.
Of course, I felt awful. I even had a couple of bites (moderation!) of fried cheese, which immediately became a sinus headache and a couple of metal knots slowly winding through my intestines.
 

5 weeks on this glorious cleanse and I thought I was ready for moderation.

Those few bites of delicious pita bread and the white flour was coursing through my body, begging for more.

According to Dr. David Perlmutter, neurologist, 

"Just like Oreos, there are chemicals in gluten and wheat that stimulate the same parts of the brain that are responsive to morphine."
This is why I have to keep going the route of super discipline. Unfortunately for me, there is no "moderation" concerning gluten products. And I'm shocked by the way the flour made me crave meat, all things fried, and everything I had given up- even sugar and alcohol!

I joked 5 minutes after the gluttonous meal and said, "Now for the self-loathing," but that was exactly what happened, even after all of my advice not to be hard on ourselves when slipping up on cravings.

That darn pita? NOT WORTH IT. Back to my cleanse diet without exception. The slippery slope is just too slick!


Note: There were no animals harmed in this meal! Still vegetarian for over 5 weeks now. Even when I want to eat the meat, I can't go through with it. It feels really good to live my beliefs, helping the earth in being a little lighter and brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment