Sunday, February 1, 2015

Day 21- The Beginning

“What we eat is a matter of life and death. Food is who we are.” – Scott Jurek, Ultra marathoner
This may sound dramatic after only 21 days, but I am changed. I feel lighter, gentler, more myself. I learned with my heart and body, not just my mind this time.

I thought I would never give up eggs, but I just can't stop thinking about the baby chicks that aren't needed. I thought I could never go without gluten but I honestly haven't missed it. I've just become more creative in the kitchen! Egg substitutes for baking are bananas and ground flaxseed with water. I made my first pizza without cheese or even cheese substitute (recipe below.) I felt like I was on the food network, whipping up this delicious, gourmet beauty.

I'm feeling excited about committing to this diet long-term, though it was in no way my original intention. I just wanted to lose some weight and reset my system with a cleanse. But I am not the same person who started 21 days ago, desperately needing a change. Iyengar's "disciplined happiness" is taking on more meaning as this new sense of balance finds me smiling more. But gently...genuinely.

“Genetically and structurally, we are designed to thrive on plant foods…Plants store the sun’s energy, which we receive by eating them. If you can, just picture the light energy from the sun beaming down to the vegetables and fruits, and as we eat those foods, imagine that energy being transmitted into our bodies. Our nervous systems are maintained and stimulated by this light. What an amazing gift from nature- to be able to eat such pure foods that give our bodies so much!” – Skinny Bitch

The sunshine is now running through my body, feeding my cells, despite the heavy Ohio blizzard outside.

I find myself now agreeing with Benjamin Franklin:
“My refusing to eat flesh occasioned an inconveniency, and I was frequently chided for my singularity, but, with this lighter repast, I made the greater progress, for greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension.”
Since this all started from Kathy Freston's Quantum Wellness Cleanse, I find it fitting to close this 21 day experiment using her very appropriate words: 
“Now you know just how powerful you are. Now you know that you are the healer who can heal yourself and extend that healing out into the world. May you be well and thrive in every respect, and may you use this foundation of power to help move us all forward.”
This is one of my favorite foods I've ever invented (today.) It was so rich and indulgent I did not miss the cheese (really!) And all because I ran out of marinara sauce and had to get creative!

A New and Fabulous Pizza

 

 Ingredients
Namaste Foods Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix (follow instructions on bag)
2 cups arugula
2 TB earth balance butter substitute
1 large sweet onion, cut in thin strips
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper from jar
3/4 cup sundried tomatoes
2 TB coconut cream concentrate
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
salt, oregano, garlic powder, rosemary
2 TB + 2 tsp olive oil

Instructions:
Preheat Oven to 450 degrees and make crust in the meantime.

Caramelize onions in the Earthbalance butter. Toss the arugula with 1-2 tsp of the olive oil, some salt and pepper, then set aside to wilt a bit.

Make the sauce: Add garlic, red pepper, sundried tomatoes, coconut cream concentrate, almonds, and about 4 cherry tomatoes in a food processor. Drizzle the 2 TB olive oil and grind until it's a thick, creamy paste.

Spread the sauce over the crust when it's ready. Add the onions and remaining tomatoes and bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add the wilted arugula.

*I also drizzled with a nice pecan-flavored balsamic. A sweet balsamic adds nice flavor to the arugula.

*If you can't find the Namaste brand crust, you would probably want lower the temperature of the oven to 375-400 and follow the instructions for how long to bake it. Since the one I used is a thin crust and goes from a batter to actually baking the crust, the higher temperature was needed.

If you would like more information on going vegan or vegetarian, there is some great info at Goveg.com and you can even order a free vegetarian starter kit.
If you enjoyed this 21-day program, another one that I would strongly recommend (that I have done several times and really like) is PCRM's 21-Day Vegan Kick Start. They share delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all 21 days.

1 comment:

  1. That was a gourmet delight! Name this pizza! Roasted Red Pepper Sun-Dried Tomato Goo Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Fresh Arugula. That's too long. Seriously, everyone needs to try this. And help name it. :)

    ReplyDelete